Taking inspiration from the famous Persian ‘Joojeh kabab’, this is our delicious twist on Saffron Chicken using our award-winning saffron to cook a delicious meal in under 1 hour.
This recipe for saffron chicken serves two people so adapt it accordingly to suit your guests.
What ingredients are required for saffron chicked?
- 2 chicken breasts, diced
- a good pinch of high quality saffron, ground and steeped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 whole onion, finely chopped
- a good squeeze of tomato puree
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp of plain natural yoghurt
- salt to season
- serve over basmati rice
- optional: parsley, to garnish
You’ll also need a medium size ovenproof dish to cook your saffron chicken in.
How to cook your saffron chicken
- First preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Grind good quality saffron into a powder by using a pestle and mortar, and then steep it in a little cool-boiled water for a few minutes while you prepare your other ingredients.
- Dice the chicken and place into a medium size oven proof dish.
- Finely chop your onion (we use a mini chopper for ease) and then add to the dish along with the yoghurt, lemon, tomato puree and seasonings.
- Cover your chicken with the saffron water, give all the ingredients in the dish a good stir and then place your dish in the oven for 35 mins.
- While your chicken is in the oven, cook enough rice to your liking.
- Take your saffron chicken out of the oven and serve over rice.
- Optional: garnish with a sprig of parsley.
Where can you buy saffron?
Sara Saffron offer a full range of premium quality, authentic saffron for incredible freshness, deep colour, pungent aroma and superb flavour. In our expert opinion this is the finest saffron you can buy.
Our award winning saffron comes direct from the best farms in the Middle East and includes Pushal, Negin, Super Negin and Organic saffron.